Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Rantings and Musings on the the eve of Belgium's national day


Tomorrow is Belgium's National Day. On this auspicious day in 1831, Leopold Saxe-Coburg Saalfeld takes the oath as Belgium's first king. Since this is my first national day here, I am not sure how people celebrate. Do people become patriotic and wear Belgium's national colors- black, yellow and red? Do people BBQ hot dogs and hamburgers? Do Belgians give thanks for another year the country is still intact albeit with just a band aid? I am not sure.


The royal family, I believe comes out in full force paying homage to their subjects. Several times in the past week, I passed by one of the ugly palaces and saw a band stand set up with white plastic lawn chairs. There is most likely some sort of ceremony taking place.


As an American, the fourth of July is a special day. Aside from the annoying fire crackers that get fired off and ant infested picnics, Americans in their own way celebrate gaining their independence from the British monarchy. It's an extremely patriotic day. There is lots to celebrate as an American. What do the Belgians celebrate? I am really curious.


Never in a thousand years did I think I would end up in Belgium. I remember the first time I visited Brussels. My husband and I were living in Fontainebleau, France, and we always passed through Brussels when we took the Thalys to Amsterdam. There was the joke that we knew when we left France, because the weather felt gray, the land looked dull and the city outskirts looks ratty. We knew when we entered The Netherlands because the land looked greener and cleaner. Is this a fair observation? Probably not but these were my amateurish first impressions. So on one summer day, my husband and I hopped on the Thalys and took it straight to Brussels.
We went immediately to Grand Place and did the typical touristy things. We went to the beer and chocolate museum, had a waffle, drank beer and saw the Mannequin Piss. Then it got cloudy and rained. We ran for cover in one of those double decker tourist buses that drives all around Brussels. I think I fell asleep. That was my first time in Brussels. I think I said, I came, I saw and never again. LOL LOL LOL.
On the eve of these celebrations, I am neither excited or jubilant. I am just here and will most likely take in some of the festivities and observe the Belgians. Are they happy or dour faced today? Do they even care? After that, I will drink some of the national brew.

No comments:

Post a Comment