Sunday, July 25, 2010

King Albert's message: Can't we all just get along?

Picture taken in Liege on June 6, 2010. "A" with a crown on top stands for King Albert! "B" stands for Belgium.

I just found out today that King Albert, King of Belgium and I have the same birthday. Does that make me special?

I just saw on my facebook news feed, a small article from www.flandersnews.be
On Belgium's National Day on July 21, the King made a speech speaking about Belgium's challenges and that the Belgians need to find ways to live together and get along. Belgian's getting along and the country staying intact, is always on the King's mind. I am guessing that he prays for his kingdom's unity. The King has a lot at stake. What would happen if the country would split up? Which side does the King take? Is he King of the Walloons or King of Flanders? Or would he be supreme ruler of Brussels? I have no idea.

Flandersnews.be is a wonderful news resource. Granted it is a bit biased towards Flanders but the news is in English. I feel like sometimes, Flanders cares more about me than the Walloons. While I don't speak Dutch, the Flemish wants me to know what is going on in Belgium. I have yet to see a Walloon weekly English newspaper. I guess Wallonia does not care much about me. That's fine, I am not losing any sleep over that!

No comments:

Post a Comment