Thursday, July 8, 2010

Pop open a beer can, it's finally summer

People milling around Grand Place, Brussels

Finally, summer has hit Belgium. June was touch and go but finally the weather has really warmed up. It is amazing how different summer is here in Belgium. The biggest difference is the lack of air conditioning. Last Thursday was extremely warm and we went to the Carrefour (Europe's version of Wal-Mart) and it was hot in there. This big warehouse had no central air. The cashier was fanning herself as if she was having hot flashes. Most people here don't have central air because it is really only maybe ten days during the summer that feel like you're burning in hell. For me that is ten days too many. I hate the heat. I hate to sweat. I also hate the humid heat. Luckily we have air. Someone told me that Europeans are more energy conscious. Maybe that is the case but I have to tell you when it is 40 degrees outdoors, I am glad to have the central air.

When it is so hot, it is important to drink a lot of fluid. You don't want to dehydrate. Does beer count as a fluid? Well, water is a key ingredient to beer and there is nothing nicer than an ice cold Hoegaarden beer served fresh from the top with a lemon wedge. That hits the spot. But my advice, enjoy an ice cold Belgian beer but always chase it down with water. It will keep you hydrated.

1 comment:

  1. HI Melissa,
    I agree with you, for the last 10 years I lived in air-conditionned places like Tokyo, New York and Atlanta (Hotlanta): Despite having more than 100F and humidity in those three cities it was better than 85F without air conditionning. The problem, I was freezing inside so always got a sweater for shopping. Me too I live in Ixelles near Flagey. I am French but very much "internationalized" even "americanized".
    I don't like beer but I appreciate the lifestyle in Brussels, great cosy restaurants cafes with terraces, open markets. This is my first year in Brussels and I did not see much rain so I enjoyed Nordic walking in the foret de Soignes. You can find me on my blog: http://zestnzen.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete