Friday, March 12, 2010

Party like it's 1990-something

Today's beers: Blanche du Hainut and St. Idelsbald Reserve Ten Duinen Dubbel

I received some interesting news this morning. Guess who is coming to Belgium to play in concert? If any of my two followers guess who's coming to play in Belgium, I will personally pay for their roundtrip ticket and provide a place to stay. Any guesses? It's Boyz II Men. The reason I offered the free ticket was because I figured no one would ever guess them. The only song I remember them singing was the song that goes Boyz II Men...a lot of times, with a real catchy beat. Apparently, the group is still around, performs and has new music. Funny how they slipped under my radar. So they are performing in Brussels on May 3, 2010 at the Ancienne Belgique. I believe they are opening the concert. Not sure if I am going to attend. I was never a big Boyz II Men fan. However, I wish I had attended the "I Love the 80's" concert back in November (advertisement above) because I really loved '80's music. Luckily, Belgium is in a little time warp as they always play '80's music in the metro station and people still wear stonewashed jeans.

If you are looking for an excuse to spend springtime in Belgium, this may be the impetus to get over here. Of course while you are here, you might as well enjoy the beers. It is a two for one!

If you do decide to come to Belgium for the concert, you might want to sample some of the unique brews this tiny country has to offer. I recently tried Blanche du Hainaut, an organic non-filtered beer with a 5.5% alcohol content and loved it. All of its ingredients aside from the water are organic. This white beer had a zing and exploded in my mouth. I think it was the coriander and orange peel that added to the intriguing taste. Also it is nice to occasionally to enjoy a beer that is environmentally responsible.

If you need a beer with a little bit more alcohol, then try out St. Idesbald Reserve Ten Duinen dubbel with its 8% alcohol content. This is a dark brown beer that looks a darkly brewed ice tea. I am not usually a fan of the darker brews but this brew had a nice warm intense taste with a sour tang as it slid down my throat. St. Idesbald also has a tripel and a blond, both I am looking forward to sampling. Check them out at http://www.delirium.be/e/

1 comment: