Wednesday, March 17, 2010

ooh... don't let the baby watch TV before 3 yrs old and Drink something for Saint Patrick's Day

Before I begin my daily Brussels rant, I would like to thank GoAnderlicht for his insightful beer reviews. To take time out of his busy schedule to drink and review some beers was much appreciated. Merci!

This past week, I have visited some preschools and noticed a curious poster hanging on the wall which says that children should not watch TV before the age of 3. I am thinking, "or else?" What does this mean? Will my child end up a psycho if she watches Dora the Explorer or CNN before the tender age of 3? Am I exposing her too early to consumerism? Will she say "buy me this" before Mama? Or will the baby not enjoy reading if she watches cartoons? I am not a child psychologist or pediatrician nor have read many parenting books. Instead I parent by instinct. Ocassionally, I have put the baby in front of the TV but instead of sitting she crawls and pulls toys off the shelves. I may put the baby in her standing contraption and hope she will watch some cartoons for two minutes so I can pee but you know what she does? She looks and then focuses on some cookie crumbs. If anything, a child should not watch TV after the age of 3 (trust me I am not advocating this either, as my husband and I are big TV watchers but we are also readers)! Why? Because as kid gets older and more verbal, they are going to see some piece of crap on TV and want me to buy it. "Mommy buy me this doll that can talk or buy me nintendo and a cellphone." As the child gets older, they will watch shows like Hannah Montana or that show starring Britney Spears' knocked up sister and ask questions like can I dress like the star of Hannah Montana? Or can I be like that Zoe 101? How do I explain that these are only actors and that they are sluts in real life?

Maybe the Belgians are onto to something? I doubt it. When I walk to pick my baby up at creche, I pass a school and everytime I pass it, I cringe. I see high school students hanging out, smoking literally in front of the school doors. Standing in private door ways drinking Red Bull and diet Coke. I see boys with pants down to their butts and girls in tight shirts. Everyone has a cellphone, i-pod, blackberry and beeper. I always say a little prayer when I pass and I ask the one above to give me the patience and knowledge to lead my daughter in the right direction. I pray that my baby will be clean cut, polite, inquisitive and not texting dirty messages to boys. Will not watching TV before the age of 3 guarantee this? I doubt these kids didn't watch TV before 3. Why? Because it is impractical. My hope is that my child will discover a world filled with toys and games and are powered by her creativity and imagination and not a battery.

Today I am reviewing Saxo Beer, another off the beaten path beer. That is one of the Belgium's beauties. Try finding Saxo at your local bodega in New York City. This blond beer is a pale gold with about 7.5% alcohol content. I know this is going to sound redundant but the beer is a little bit bitter but is extremely thirst quenching and crisp. I love crisp and light beers like Saxo. The beer goes well with a nice green salad made with leafy greens from Flanders tossed with olive oil and sea salt. Cold cuts like smoked turkey breast also go extremely well with blond beers like Saxo. There seems to be something very harmonious between the saltiness of the cold turkey and the bitter crispness of the beer. If you ever find this beer at a speciality beer shop or at a bar, try it. You won't be sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment