Friday, April 23, 2010

Political chaos or just another day here in Brussels

The Antwerp train station. Don't speak French here!



I am not sure why the Belgium's Prime Minister resigned. I think it has something to do with the everyday battle between the Wallonians and Flemish. It is all so confusing. But here is what I know. Brussels which is the capital of the country is officially bilingual, even though most people here speak French than Dutch. The suburbs around Brussels are all Dutch speaking. The French speakers living in these Dutch speaking areas want to be able to communicate with their local government in French. Apparently that is not possible. Since this is just a new grievance to an old argument. I think the Prime Minister just got pissed off and wanted to resign.



Little did I know Belgium is such a fragile country. It could implode any day and would anyone know? The government is in crisis mode and the buses are running on time, garbage gets collected and school are open. Anarchy has not ensued. Life goes on. No one is hoarding food and loading their rifles. I must say I am not worried because I know somehow like hump dee dumpty, Belgium will put itself back together again.



What I don't understand is why both sides can not get together and share a beer and just air their grievances. What beers would I personally recommend? I would any Belgian because its about the company and bridging differences.

















No comments:

Post a Comment